Dr. Michael Frederick, Plastic Surgeon in West Palm Beach, FL
Dr. Frederick—affectionately known as Dr. Mike to patients and staff – demonstrates a dedication to his work that is evident from the moment he shakes your hand. Patients know instantly that they have met a special, caring, and uniquely talented surgeon who will listen to their needs and work with them to meet their cosmetic surgery goals.
On a journey that began on a 60-acre Hass avocado farm just north of Santa Barbara, California, Dr. Mike grew up building fences, driving tractors, and picking fruit. He spent most of his free time in the water: swimming, playing water polo, lifeguarding, scuba diving, and sailing. He decided to major in marine biology at UCLA, but after his older sister Stacey, a mezzo-soprano for the Los Angeles Master Chorale, was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, he shifted plans and began exploring medicine as a way to have a major life impact.
After graduating Summa Cum Laude from UCLA, he attended medical school at the prestigious University of California, San Francisco. There, he received research grants to study transplant immunology, which would help him later in life as he participated in two of the world’s first face transplantations as part of the plastic surgery team at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts.
“I have always been a perfectionist… so when I found plastic surgery, I knew it was the perfect fit.” ~ Dr. Michael Frederick
He was fortunate to attend Harvard University for his plastic surgery training, and while there he authored several articles, including book chapters and publications in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Annals of Plastic Surgery. He also was invited to speak on novel surgical techniques at several plastic surgery meetings.
More About Dr. Michael Frederick, Plastic Surgeon
In addition to his training at Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital, he studied at The Pitanguy Clinic in Rio De Janiero, Brazil, learning the most advanced techniques in body sculpting. Today, Dr. Mike specializes in the full breadth of breast and body surgery. He states that his interest in breast surgery stemmed from his extensive experience reconstructing patients after breast cancer. He says that: “When you can build a breast from no breast at all, you are forced to really study and appreciate the aesthetics of every body type, in every situation.” As with everything he does, Dr. Mike brings a constant pursuit of perfection to his specialized cosmetic breast and body cases. Though he loves the immediate gratification of the surgical outcome, mostly he loves the way the results make his patients feel:
“When people feel confident about their breasts and body it positively impacts every aspect of their life. They stand taller, walk with purpose, and enter a room with confidence. They also wear their clothes more fitted and with a better sense of style. That’s what plastic surgery is really about!”
Dr. Mike believes in giving back to the community, which is why you will often see him at local breast and ovarian cancer fundraisers. He especially enjoys participating in humanitarian missions to repair cleft lips and palates in Brazil and Colombia, a passion further complemented by the fact that he is part Colombian and speaks fluent Spanish.
Dr. Mike loves plastic surgery because of its powerful effects on self-esteem, self-confidence, and overall well-being. His patients love plastic surgery for the same reasons. They may not realize it before surgery, but they definitely do afterwards.
- Bachelor of Science: University of California, Los Angeles
- Major: Marine Biology; Minor: Spanish Literature
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude with Highest Department Honors
- Doctor of Medicine: University of California, San Francisco
- General Surgery Internship at Massachusetts General Hospital
- Harvard Plastic Surgery Residency
- Chief Resident at Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Speaker at the American Association of Plastic Surgeons (AAPS) Annual Meeting
- Speaker at the American Society of Plastic Surgeon’s (ASPS) Senior Resident conference
- Speaker at the American Transplant Congress
- Author of numerous publications, including several book chapters and several publications including publications in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Annals of Plastic Surgery
- Volunteer plastic surgeon on multiple medical trips to Colombia and Brazil including “Healing the Children” and the “Milwaukee Medical Mission”
- Dean’s Research Fellowship Award at UCSF
- Dean’s Scholarship at UCSF